7 ways to improve your chances for landing a job in logistics
Are you looking to make a career in the logistics industry? Whether you are a fresher or someone looking for a career change, the logistics industry in India is a lucrative career option. Currently valued at USD 160 billion and poised for further growth in the near future, the Indian logistics industry offers immense potential for those who wish to pursue a fulfilling and rewarding career path. According to an IBEF report, the logistics industry in India is set to employ nearly 40 million professionals at all levels. And there is scope to make a career in logistics for anyone who has the acumen and the zeal to succeed. Read on to know how you can improve your chances for landing a job in logistics:
- Find out where the demand lies: With its job-creating potential, the logistics industry in India is set to make hiring across the board. With digitized logistics services on the rise, particular demand is high for professionals with skills in data management, warehouse management systems, project mapping and data analytics. In companies with a global footprint, there is also need for specialist in international trading and commerce.
- Know the eligibility criteria: Specific jobs in specific positions in the logistics industry require a specific skillset and educational background. For positions pertaining to data management and tracking, a strong foundation in science and technology is mandated. For positions in logistics
- Earn a degree in logistics: Earning a formal degree in logistics and supply chain operations and management is another sure way to ensure a career in the industry. Many leading higher education institutes in India offer specific courses for logistics and supply chain operations and management which you can apply for.
- Gain the requisite skill set: Even without a formal degree in logistics, you can improve your chances of landing jobs in logistics by gaining practical skills in the required fields. Pick up skills which are in demand in the logistics industry which will strengthen your resume and help you stand out among other applicants.
- Gain Experience: Perhaps the best way to improve your chances of obtaining a job in the logistics industry is to intern with a logistics company. By interning with an established logistics company, not only will you learn the ropes of the role and the industry but will boost your hiring potential.
- Be flexible: By staying open to taking up a job in a place which is not your original home region or place of study, you can further improve your chances of landing a job in the logistics industry. Reputed logistics companies have their presence over different locations across the country, if not the world, and by staying open about the job location, you are more likely to find a job in the industry.
- Determine the Entry point: To land a job in logistics in India, you will also need to determine the best entry point for a job. While you can seek the assistance of a recruitment agency or headhunters, networking with people in the logistics industry will also boost your chances of landing a job. Scout social media and interact with persons in the industry, seek their advice, and let them know that you are interested in a career in logistics. Chances are that if they become aware of an opening, they might direct it your way.
Whether you are looking for a skilled or semi-skilled job in leading logistics companies in India, the abovementioned pointers will go a long way in helping you gain a foothold in this growing industry and make a successful living. Find the best fit position for you and be a part of the growth story of logistics in India.